Thursday, January 3, 2013

in which i say les touches too many times.

If you are a designer or decorator, the Brunschwig & Fils Les Touches fabric is old hat to you.

If you are a design hobbyist or reader of design blogs, you too know well the spotted loveliness that is Les Touches.

If you are me-- a design hobbyist and reader of blogs and animal print obsessive-- you've had this fabric filed away in your brain for years.

If you're none of those things, this is Les Touches:

Les Touches wingbacks in Tommy Smythe's living room photographed by Michael Graydon, on Apartment Therapy.

Michael Graydon for Tommy Smythe's Apartment Therapy House Tour

Les Touches on the chaise in Amie Corley's home, for Design*Sponge


Spotty, varied, leopard-y without being overly in-your-face, and overall gorgeous. It works in masculine spaces, it works in feminine spaces, it just works. I'd only seen Les Touches in the white or camel/black colorways, and then just before Christmas I came across two yards in a beige/cherry/plum colorway (which doesn't necessarily sound appealing before you see it), and knew it would be perfect for a project in the bedroom. So I pounced.


In person, I found that the colors in this version compliment the Hamadan Persian rug we found over a year ago (which I love for its blacks, blues, pinks, and rusts).

The rug in front of our bed. 



If you'll recall from our house tour, there's an antique bed bench in front of our bed. See how it is covered by a stack of books and a throw blanket? That's because it's in bad need of new upholstery. We spent the week or so before the photoshoot looking online and in fabric shops for something that made our heart sing, but no luck. I'm glad we put stuff on it rather than settling for a less-than-awesome fabric, because now I'm really excited about using Les Touches to recover it.

Bedroom photo by Carolyn Purnell

In the meantime, I wanted to check out how the fabric looks on the bed, and I love that too. I'm thinking I'll get a small throw pillow made. Or maybe a longer bolster. What can I say, I like changing things up! Here's how our bedding set-up usually looks:

Photo of our bed by Carolyn Purnell

And here's a quick shot of how a Les Touches pillow might look:


Our bed, with a different pillow and a swapped out throw (this one is Threshold for Target).

And that's that.

Oh, wait--what's that you say? You're still not sure what that super awesome fabric is called? 

Don't worry. I've got you.

 LES TOUCHES.    (.....which puts my official "les touches" count up to ten.)

P.S. I just realized one of my bags is reminiscent of... well... you know:

Do you see it? Kate Spade bag from a few years ago.