Saturday, December 22, 2012

waffling.

I've had a draft open in blogger for the past three days, trying to figure out how to address the new national discussion on mental health (or at the least, the one everyone is insisting we ought to have)   and what that means. I'm not quite there yet, not quite sure how to put words to the incredible amount of emotion that surrounds both the national circumstances and my personal circumstances. I've been thinking a lot about human capacity to cause harm, which was something I witnessed at home for the entirety of my youth. Where does agency come in where mental illness is involved? At what point is there a choice made, either in the wrongdoing itself, or in the refusal of treatment that could offset those urges?  Is there a tipping point for evil?

So that's what I'm thinking about, and I want to write about it, but as I said-- not there yet.

Aaaaaaaaand on an entirely different note, MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'll be taking a few days away* to spend time with friends and family, go to the ballet (our Christmas tradition!), and to see what life is like without a laptop glued to my thighs. See you again next Wednesday? Love and cheer from this screen to yours.  Now go put your laptop away.

holiday mantle decor and candles in the fireplace

  *I'll have one more For Sunday post to go up tomorrow.