Saturday, November 3, 2012

loot and movies.

I had a doctor appointment in Andersonville this morning, and met up with a friend for a walk afterwards. We stopped in Brown Elephant and I did some treasure hunting.  I ended up with this set of twisty brass candle holders:

brass ribbon candle holders

and this emerald glass bowl:

emerald green vintage ornate glass bowl

Thirteen bucks for both. Another low cost accessory I'm working on:

home decor The Royal Tenenbaums Family of Geniuses book print

I've always had a soft spot for The Royal Tenenbaums.  In college, it was one of my go-to movies to put on while I fell asleep. (Never mind that the Ramones blaring during the montage of Margot's promiscuous youth always woke me back up. I am sensible like that). Like a lot of the internet, I geeked out when Criterion* published images of the book and magazine covers featured in the film. I can't find any information about the designer or available prints, so for now I printed out my favorite to frame and hang in the bedroom. Total cost: 90 cents (price of the frame). Not super keen on the white margins. I may cut them off and just use black paper as backing.

The Royal Tenenbaums Family of Geniuses framed book print

I told my boyfriend that one day I would hang this in our children's nursery as to leave no questions about my expectations for them.


*I will now take this moment to honor two more of my favorite movies, also from Criterion Collection, just because: 
Godard Une Femme est une Femme Anna Karina
Jean-Claude Brialy, Anna Karina, and Jean-Paul Belmondo in Une Femme est une Femme

Audrey Hepburn in Charade with Cary Grant
Audrey Hepburn (with Cary Grant) in Charade

That is all.