Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Casa Sugar Feature :: House Tour!


Hey guys! SO EXCITED to be featured on Casa Sugar today. Have you ever visited? What a fabulous, fabulous site. They did a little house tour and were such a pleasure to work with. Some of the photos have been on here before, but others are new, so head over to check them out! Here are some snippets from the interview:

CS: What initially drew you to this house? 
SF: We bought it from some friends of ours, and every time we visited it was like being transported to another country. You feel as though you're in the French countryside the second you enter the gate and see the house, and that feeling becomes even more pronounced when you come inside and see the thoughtful details. 

CS: What is your favorite room in the house? What is your favorite thing to do in that room?
SF: My favorite room in the house...gosh...I would have to say our kitchen. We spend 90 percent of our time in there as a family and so many fun memories are made in that space. Blowing bubbles before school at 8am, chocolate almond butter smeared all over the ghost chairs, coupled with the gorgeous antique backsplash and special touches - it's a very homey atmosphere. 

CS: How would you describe your personal style?
SF: Totally nuts! I could never pigeon hold my style into one single category. I don't even think eclectic covers it! I'm just all over the map. I will say that rooms always have to feel comfortable and fun.

CS: Do you have a rule of thumb for layering patterns?
SF: No. Should I? Oops... I think it's so easy to say, 'Never do this, never do that,' and then sure enough, you come across a room where leopard and tartan are combined beautifully with some chevron thrown in that just works. So never say never! I think everything can go with everything if you put the right spin on it. Perhaps not trying too hard is key. 


CS: Tell me the story behind these objects.
SF: My faith is the most important thing in my life, and these pieces are a collection of items given to us over the years or ones that I have acquired. The metal box with the cross was given to us by some dear friends when we moved in as a housewarming present. The metal heart with angel wings was a present from my husband last Christmas, right before our little girl was born. The angel made of wire is my mother's, and I found the two crosses scouring through markets of San Antonio. The metal pieces nailed to them are called Milagros, which means miracles. They are small religious charms featuring anything from saints to body parts to houses that all offer specific blessings. I have several more pieces throughout the house - they are my absolute favorite things and I love introducing people to the stories behind them. Very special. 

CS: How do your Southern roots influence your style?
SF: I think being from the South makes me yearn for that closeness and comfort within every room. Family is always number one, and along with that comes the camaraderie of our communities; you want to spend time with each other, talk about your families, really have personal connections. I think a room can conjure up those feelings...or not. I certainly know if a room leads me to feel welcome, as if I could just plop down on the sofa with a warm cup of tea, or if I'd better stand so I don't mess up the pillow arrangements. I choose the former! 

Head on over to Casa Sugar to see the great photographs they featured and to check out the rest of the interview. It was so much FUN to work with these gals - thank you for the great piece! 



P.S. I keep forgetting - we need to decide what happens now that the 1000 follower mark has been hit! This is AWESOME! Ideas welcome :)))