Friday, November 18, 2011

Paleo Pancakes


I love breakfast food. If I was told that I could only eat one "type" of food for the rest of my life, I would select typical morning fare. Eggs Benedict, waffles dripping with butter, pancakes slathered in maple syrup...the problem is that none of those are Paleo friendly. 

Until now. 

Let me re-introduce you to Elana's Pantry. My Healthier Halloween Candy post was the first time I mentioned Miss Elana, and ever since I discovered her site I can't help but pour myself into her recipes. A while back I tried a Paleo pancake recipe but it fell flat. It was applesauce based I believe, and I felt like I was eating cardboard sprinkled with blueberries. Hello trash bin. Elana's Silver Dollar Pancakes are another story entirely! I love them. Squish loves them. They are a great, protein-packed breakfast, and they're EASY to whip up! 


3 large eggs
1 T water
1 T vanilla extract
2 T local honey*
1 1/2 c blanched almond flour
1/4 t celtic sea salt
1/4 t baking soda**
coconut oil, for cooking***

*Elana calls for agave which I will not use. See my post HERE for why!
**I have used baking powder here instead with great results.
***Again, Elana calls for grape seed but I don't keep that on hand regularly, and our coconut oil spray from Whole Foods works great. 


Use medium to medium low heat, and do not make them larger than 3" in diameter. That is the trick! Flip when little bubbles form, and add more oil as needed.
This is a great recipe to cook with the kids! 


Almost ready...


Voila!


Happy cooking! Let me know how they turn out. Do you have any healthy grain-free breakfast recipes?