Thursday, May 9, 2013

Melted Crayon Art



How often do you see something on Pinterest and think, "AMAZING!!!... but I will never have time to do that." {Story of my life}
I had come across photos of this art project too many times to continue drooling over it on the screen, and decided it was time to do this with the kiddos. 

IMG_0034
I went to Michael's and bought a new box of 120 crayons, a long canvas, and a new hot glue gun. 
That is ALL it takes! Oh, plus the blow dryer ;) 
IMG_0051
Glue each crayon onto the canvas with the hot glue gun and let dry. I ordered ours in rainbow order {mostly}, but obviously do whatever you feel inspired to do.
IMG_0078
Start blowdrying and voila! I am in love with it, and it was easy, cheap, and FUN to do.
My arm did get a little tired holding the dryer but it was worth it to have this nice addition to our living room/play room. 
IMG_0076
One small tip: I got a little impatient around the blues and put the hair dryer on high. Bad idea. It slung the wax sideways and made a little patch of splatter paint.
No major deal, but if you want them all streaming down, have patience and keep the dryer on low. 
IMG_0075
The pink section is my favorite. #duh
IMG_0066
Pretty great, right? I left a space at the end for us to write our names and the date we did it, though most I have seen go from one side to the other.
You could always write names and date on the sides of the canvas as well. Happy melting!