Wednesday, November 21, 2012

bullseye.

My love of Target is longstanding and unconditional, though I will say that the new holiday campaign with the singing duo makes me mad every time I see it.

An aside: last summer, a friend who works at headquarters in Minneapolis took me to the epicenter of all things Target. I've heard this is a common reaction people have when seeing a brick from the first Target store:

my bordering on unhealthy love of target
No? Just me? Okay.

Anyways. A couple of weeks ago, we were at our local Target to buy groceries and spotted a cool gold tray stashed on a bottom shelf. There was only one, and it had a small crack in one corner of the glass. (It's unnoticeable, for the most part.) I talked to a manager, who gave us a 15% discount for the damage. Plus we got 5% off through the prescription rewards program, and another 5% savings from using our Red Card.

This made me feel incredibly savvy and cost-conscious, like I had just done something really great.

And that is the genius of Target. I was there to buy groceries, then I picked up a tray I hadn't planned on buying, and at the end of it all, I felt smart about spending the extra money. Well played, Target. Well played. Here she is:

living room, gold Threshold Target tray, and Matilda mug

living room, gold Threshold Target tray, and Matilda mug
"I'm wondering what to read next," Matilda said.