Saturday, December 19, 2009

Peaceful Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Cookies

I love to make the bulk of my Christmas gifts each year. Last year I made (with the sewing help of my sister) eye pillows filled with dried herbs, the year before some pieces of my handmade jewelry, the year before that I crafted ornaments out of natural cinnamon sticks, etc. I love getting crafty and thinking of what I will make for everyone each year. I enjoy taking the time on each gift and thinking about the person it's going to. It makes it so much more special than going out and buying something and really helps me connect to what the holiday is all about.

This year I got creative in the kitchen and baked my vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookies for everyone. Unfortunately, because of the snow today, 'Christmakuh' has been rescheduled! No worries though, I have the cookies safely stowed in the freezer until we meet to celebrate.

Here is my yummy, cruelty-free recipe. Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!

Lauren's Peaceful Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached white whole wheat flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 canola oil (non-GMO of course!)
3/4 cup chunky all-natural peanut butter (my favorite is Smart Balance!)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
Toss together the flour, oats, baking powder, nuts, chocolate chips, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl mix together the oil, peanut butter, sugars, soy milk, and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix. The dough will be very firm and moist.
Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and round with hand, then place onto cookie sheet. Gently flatten each cookie to a 1/2-inch thickness. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Allow to cool at least 10 minutes for firm up before moving off the cookie sheet.
Enjoy!!!

Keep it fresh!
- Lauren